collapse

* News

You can now reach this forum via the following forwarded URL: www.thetarotforum.com
Expect a full hosting move sometime in 2018!

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Subscriptions Keep TT&M Alive!

Author Topic: Lady of the Engines - Steampunk Tarot (Matthews)  (Read 174 times)

Trogon

• Watchful Moderator
  • TT&M Family
  • Tarot Prospector
    • Barn0wl on Deviant Art
Lady of the Engines - Steampunk Tarot (Matthews)
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »
So, I've been working with the Steampunk Tarot (Matthews) for a few days now.

To start with, I have to say that, in the past 10 or so years, I can't really recall a reading where a Court card has come up and I've said that it specifically represents one individual. I've had them represent certain aspects of a person, or their influence on a situation, but not a "oh! This is specifically person A." And when I was beginning my Tarot studies, there were times when I would try to mentally force a Court card to be some individual or other in a reading, but of course that didn't work. In fact, over the years, I've come to expect that Court cards would generally be more about the things represented rather than a specific person.

However, in my daily reading on my eating issues, I had the Lady of Engines-rx come up in the "blockage" position. (The photo is of the card upright, for reference.) I looked at this card and thought on it a bit, then went back to the issue card, then came back to the Lady of Engines. Got interrupted by a phone call (one of the hazards of doing readings at work), came back to the Lady of Engines. Looked over the "contemplation" card, then came back to the Lady of Engines. All the while, my Intuition is banging against my logical/conscious brain going "hey! Listen to me! Hey! I have the answer! Hey! HEY!!!" When I finally did listen to my intuition - Bang! It's my mother. Very specifically and undeniably, my mother. The woman pictured even resembles her to an extent. I was kind of shocked.

I am not disparaging my mother in any way, but she was ... difficult to live with. As my sister always says; "we don't know what demons she carried around." Fortunately, my mother and I were able to smooth some things over in the years before she died, but there's still things I carry. But I digress.

This is, I think, the first time in a reading where there was a definite, almost absolute, feeling that a Court card represented a very specific individual. It was, frankly, kind of surprising.
The bird also known as "Trogon" on AT

"A famous person once said; 'you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time' ... but, as I (an even more famous person) say; 'if you don't teach them to read, you can fool them whenever you like!'"
 [Max Headroom]

AJ-ish

• Supporter
  • TT&M Family
    • Quirkeries a Personal Book of Days
Re: Lady of the Engines - Steampunk Tarot (Matthews)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
like you a see (and prefer to read) court as symptoms or clues
with the exception of the King of Coins, they invariably worked out to be Rob's dad.

I love the cards, always a  new way to see

Trogon

• Watchful Moderator
  • TT&M Family
  • Tarot Prospector
    • Barn0wl on Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
That is the way I see them usually. Some aspect, or trait of the card applies to the reading usually, or to some personality. This was different. And yep, always something new! :D
The bird also known as "Trogon" on AT

"A famous person once said; 'you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time' ... but, as I (an even more famous person) say; 'if you don't teach them to read, you can fool them whenever you like!'"
 [Max Headroom]

EmpyreanKnight

• TT&M Family
  • Iron Knight
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:30:10 AM »
Same here! When the Knight of Pentacles pops up in readings, I usually interpret it in terms of the meanings I gleaned in my studies. But that also happens to be my Court Card since my birthday decan falls under its sway. Sometimes, I would associate that card with myself because that's the best way it would fit the story of the spread.

I associate my mom with the Queen of Swords by the way, and no she's not cold and distant, quite the opposite actually.
💜 Amor Vincit Omnia ♣

sandrang123

• TT&M Family
  • I see dead people.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »
First of all: Really cool story. Thank you for sharing. It's always fascinating to me when the tarot opens up new understandings of things, even after years of readings.

I've had complicated relationships with court cards over 25+ years of reading. (Okay, being a bit dramatic--Leo Sun, Pisces Moon, Libra Rising over here--as I feel like I'm always trying to court them, to unlock their meanings and secrets.) In fact, I will go on record in that I fairly easily tap into the energy of most cards and the energy of the person I'm reading, but if there are an abundance of court cards, I've found, historically, these are always harder readings for me. In general I look at an abundance of court cards as meaning that the quarent has a lot of people around him/her who are exerting influence. Like you, I've often read them in a general way, to talk about aspects or attributes of people around the quarent, or influences.

That being said, many times, too, I have gotten the distinct feeling that a court card or a few court cards are actual people with those attributes associated with the card. Frankly, too, many times I can hone in on the person's astrological sign, and have been accurate quite a lot when that feeling strikes me. So, in other words, I might ask a person if there's a woman who is a cancer, scorpio, or pisces if dealing with say, The Queen of Cups (cups corresponding to water signs). That's worked out well, but again, only when the intuitive drive comes over me to express the court card as such. Also, too, in readings I do for people more regularly, I've often noticed that the progression of say, The Knight of Pentacles being present in one reading, then the King of Pentacles being present in the next, many times signifies that some male with those characteristics is gaining prominence in the quarent's life, or similarly, if moving from King of Pentacles to Knight of Pentacles, losing prominence/importance in the quarent's life. Sometimes this waxing or waning energy even appears in one single reading, not over several, which tells me that person represented by the court card is pretty quickly gaining or losing influence. I'm always happy when that turns out to be the case, but...goodness, I fret the most over these court card issues.

I love that you posted this on court cards, as I often still find them perplexing, even after years of readings. Tarot always reveals itself, though, in different ways at different times. I always feel very much like a student of my decks. I think that's why I like to try so many new ones, despite having my "tried-and-true" fallback friends. New decks sometimes help me broaden my intuitive knowledge/secrets of cards.

All Very Best,
Sandy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:34:56 AM by sandrang123 »
Leo Sun, Pisces Moon, Libra Rising. 25+ years reading tarot. Always learning. :)